Sunday 4 December 2011

New Gear – Michelin Pro 4 Service Course Tyres and Shimano Ultegra 6700C Carbon Road Pedals

Michelin Pro 4 Service Course Tyres
So, after many years of faithful service from Vittoria Rubino Pros, I decided I once again wished to visit the land of Michelin tyres. I'd used and loved the Pro2s but then hadn't had much luck with the Pro3s – they seemed to cut up quite badly and puncture more readily, something that didn't go down well at their price point which I recall was quite steep.

Snagged myself some of the new Pro4 Service Course Tyres (still not cheap) - in red of course, one must ensure the synchronicity of the colour scheme – and away we went.

Fitted up fairly easily on my Campy Eurus 2-Way fit wheels – no levers required – and pumped up to 105psi front and 115 rear (they max out at 116psi recommended) they immediately announced their difference even prior to the first ride.

They have a decidedly different profile to the Rubinos, and most other tyres I suspect. Their profile would be best described as angular – in fact when first on the tyre and unridden, they have a very triangular shape: sidewalls slightly angled away from the rims, then an obvious straight-ish inward canting line into a sharpish circular peak. Once ridden, this triangle does round out somewhat, but after 400-odd km, they still retain a visible angled peak to them.

So, they look weird: how do they ride? Well, in a word, terrific - once you adjust to the decided rapid tip in on cornering that such a profile logically delivers. The rapidity of the tip in is very noticeable, especially the first time you lob into a corner and heel over at speed – the bike quickly transitions to laid over mode and sends a little shiver of caution through you: it does feel like the tyre is hinting at sliding away from under you. But it never does – once thru the transition period the tyre just sits nice and firm and I soon became very settled with it. I'd go so far as to say that cornering on the tyre is confidence inspiring: it rolls into the lean and then just hangs on and hangs on. If you've ridden some of the later motorcycle tyre shapes I think that the Pro4s behaviour will be quite familiar.

Haven't used it in the wet yet, but the tyre seems fairly sticky, and the solid feel in the dry on cornering should transfer to the wet I suspect.

No idea how they wear yet – frankly I'm not that concerned: grip and feel is more an issue to me than saving a few bucks.

Velonews online has a prelim. write up – hit them up for a look.

Velonews Michelin Pro4 prelim review

Shimano Ultegra 6700C Carbon Road Pedals

For some reason, I've never been one to experiment with pedals – I've always been a fan of SPD-L, especially the more recent platform size and shape, and never bought anything but Ultegra. I had been tempted by the Dura Ace Carbons pedals but their skyhigh price put me off.

So imagine my interest when the Ultegra Carbons came out – same wide platform, carbon, and far less expensive than the DAs. And then the best news of all – only 10 grams heavier per pedal than the DAs! Personally, that pretty much rules the DAs out of the equation for me and likely 99% of everyone else. So of course, me purchase them!

Aside from the aforementioned weight difference to DAs (the Ultegra Carbons are significanty lighter than their alloy equivalents – around 50 grams or 16% per pair) info indicates the Ultegra Carbons have a twin bearing system compared to the DA Carbon's triple set, and are made with short fiber carbon rather than long fibre. I'm assuming this translates to a stiffer pedal for DA, but with my meagre output it's not like I can test that theory!

So, wide platform, low weight, nice black look and reasonably priced I think – what more could you want? Oh, for info sake, install is by Allen key only.

There's a first look preview on Bike Rumour online – again, go have a peek if this is your thing!

Bike Rumour Ultegra Carbon Road Pedals preview

 
Ride Safe!

No comments: