Thursday 30 August 2007

Part 1: Cycling the Canadian Gulf Islands - Day 3.

Offered the relative luxury of being able to plan to sleep in line with an 8:30am breakfast, my brain inexplicably decided to wake me at 3:30am after 5 hours sleep and stubbornly refuse to disengage and return to a more restful state. Different time zones, nervous energy, the ignominy of sleeping in the 'Lavender' room, who knows.

After 2 hours of fighting to get to sleep again (very counterintuitive) I decided to give up, get up and get out (side that is).

As I stepped through the back (or front?) door of the Inn into the outside chill, not a stone's lob from me a deer looked up from it's grazing and stared. Wow - a deer, a real live deer! Sneaking back thru' whence I'd come, I scurried back to my room, grabbed my camera and set out to stalk and photograph this mythological creature!

It was still pre-dawn dark outside, and whilst I could see well enough, my little digital cams flash couldn't throw enough light far enough to illuminate the critter. Frustratingly, all that showed up in the reviewed pics was a glowing set of eyes - try explaining that to people back home as a deer: they'd laugh me out of the place! 30 mins later and with nothing to show for it apart from some wet footwear courtesy of trailing thru' damp brush, I gave up on the deer (it huffed at me and ran off after attempting to graze without peace for that time).

Still, a deer: I'd seen one in the flesh! I proudly wandered down to the paddocks in front of the inn to check out the horses I could see - maybe I could entice them to the fence for a pat. They stared at me as I approached but had already decided as I wasn't carrying anything edible I was of no interest. So I stood looking at them for a while, peaceful in the morning light. A goose, honking mid-flight, commenced a landing run, sweeping across from my left and slowly descending toward a field to my right - a field filled with about 50 million deer! There was so many that if I had thrown my camera in the field it would have hit at least half of them.

Clearly, whilst I exaggerate, I quickly came to the realisation that deer (scientific name Canadus Rabbitus) are not that uncommon in the CGIs, indeed all of the Canada I saw. Nevertheless, I continued to photograph them whenever I saw them, as the following pic attests:



After the crushing realisation that deer are plentiful, I sucked it up, made my way inside for breakfast and told no-one of my stupidity!

Following the food, usual route trip stuff, etc etc, I decided that today I would tempt fate and again ride with no route guide. No problem - just follow. Of course, this tactic is only useful when there is someone to follow. If you pass them all then... So, naturally enough I missed the turn off to the rd which took us to our planned destination at the end of Galliano, and continued on another 13kms to another end of the island. I'd gotten carried away on the riding (which was nicely undulating) and only noticed when the sea, which should have been on my right, started appearing via glimpses thru' the trees on my left! Hmmm - time to turn around. Well it was anyway coz I ran out of road!

So, a frantic pedal back 13kms to the correct turnoff, which turned out to be a rather steep, long rise called, innocuously, Vineyard Way. It should have been called Vineyard bastard road-to-hell steep Way. Things got steep very quickly - it helps if you actually change to your lower front ring! OK, can't do that without stopping now so zig-zag up it. As soon as I started this, the only two cars I'd seen all day came down the curve around the hill! Bleh - for the first and last time on the tour I walked the sucker the rest of the way. Oh shame!

Back on course but running late, I arrived at the right side and end of the island just in time to take the briefest glimpse of a nice little beach etc before all else who remained (refreshed after their nice rest) climbed on their bikes and headed back to the lunch spot. So, rather then get lost again, I went along. The final 1km of the track to the beach and back was rough, and my rear derailleur was clunking, but a little handlebar adjustment action got it back on song. Off to lunch!

Redeeming myself (in my own eyes at least) I raced back to lunch and actually arrived at the correct locale - a lovely little spot called 'Lover's Leap': a sheer, high cliff face from which I'm assuming lovers plunged to show their mad infatuation for each other. Here's the view (minus lovers - they are piled up dead at the bottom):



After another delightful lunch with a killer view, it was back to cycling and exploring. Deciding not to repeat my earlier mistake I stuck with Harvey and Tina, of which I am very glad, as they were two of the nicest people you could hope to meet: Tina an absolute sweety, bubbly and up, and Harvey funny (dry Aussie humour funny) and down-to-earth, and both kind and so friendly.

Visited various spots along Galliano's shores, including a lovely little bay named Retreat Cove, which had it's own cute island and quirky little sandstone caves shaped by wave action. Here's me standing in said cave looking like a moron (it's obligatory on hols) - I forced Tina to take this photo:



The days cycling was about 66 km, although I did a bit more (92km in fact) due to my inadvertent tours-on-the-side, the last of which occurred on the way back to our lodgings when I kept going down a lovely long decline, past the Inn, and back to the ferry terminal!

A well deserved hot shower followed by another excellent meal and great interaction (sat with Ric again although etiquette sort of dictates you move about, and had another great chat, and Scott showed himself to be a comedy genius with his tales and general anecdotes) was at the end of another eventful day. In all honesty I missed a lot of what Galliano offered that day as I cycled a bit more than required, but no regrets: the roads were good and the feeling wonderful, which is what cycling is all about.

Day 4 coming: an early morning hike, a view, a new island, a great ride and a fabulous Resort!

No comments: