Saturday 27 October 2007

Cycling, Summer and Serpents

Thought I'd relate a little 'tale' re: a recent encounter on a Perth cycleway whilst riding to work one day this week.

Tootling along the cycleway on the South-West side of the Maylands Peninsula at about 7:30am. Google Map below shows the cycleway (the thin brown path) next to the green park leading to the river:



View Larger Map

On the path just below the large empty block in the center of the map, I looked up to see a largish Dugite spread across three quarters of the path. Given that I'd only just looked up, I was travelling 30+ km/h, I wasn't planning on stopping, and there was a gap, I blew past, and looking back, spied the snake (having been rudely awoken) making a slither for the reeds near the path from which I assume it had come.

I know it was Dugite - its colour and slender head was a giveaway, and I've seen a few in my years living and working in the wheatbelt as a kid and student.

So, a nice reminder that Summer is coming! :)

I decided to check out the Wikipedia site for some info on Dugites, and funnily enough there's a pic of one in the entry - sunning itself on a cyclepath near the Roe Highway, which is in Perth! Small world! Damn, should've snapped a pic! Especially seeing as the one I saw was fairly large - maybe 5 ft?

Wikipedia entry for the Dugite

So, keep your eyes peeled if your cycling along the river in Perth!

No comments: