Friday 21 November 2008

"What Mama Said"

Well damn – just damn!

Just picked up a pre-sale ticket for one of the few living guitarists deserving of the sobriquet 'Legend' - the mercurial, eclectic, visionary, masterful, the one, the only Jeff Beck.

I first heard of Jeff when, as a teenager, I came across the album "Truth" when he was then part of the eponymous 'The Jeff Beck Group' featuring none other than Rod Stewart on vocals and Ron Wood on bass. It was released in 1968, but I didn't come across it 'till '75 – still, as soon as I heard it, I understood the pre-eminence of the album: here was pretty much the template for many of the riffs of rock and heavy metal which followed.

Since then, I've been a fan. Across many styles and paths, Jeff's forged a sound that, unlike many of his peers, isn't scared to evolve and grow: no-one could ever claim that he's chased manufactured fame.

So, I finally get the chance to see, hear and experience an idol!

Jeff's playing in Perth on Friday the 23rd January, 2009 at the Challenge Stadium. Tickets available at Jeff Beck Tickets: Challenge Stadium Perth

There's so much good Jeff out there: personally I think some of his best work features on the Roger Waters album 'Amused to Death'.

Hit up YouTube for other Jeff action. Here's an embed below – "A Day in the Life":



Ride safe!

No comments: