Friday 21 September 2007

Pictorial Homage - The Trusty Steed

Subsequent to my return to Perth, Western Australia, the weather has been crappy (showery, overcast, mind-numbingly dull) so riding hasn't been foremost in my activities! Still, the last few days have relented, and there's been a couple of chances to cycle to work and, today, to Fremantle, a lovely port city at the mouth of the Swan River. (Google maps satellite image url below - have a play!):


View Larger Map

(For those who browsers don't work with the above, here's the static map link):

Static Map of Freo

Pretty huh?. Fremantle is 35km from my home, so it's a nice little 70km out-and-back, with the bonus that there are lots of lovely cafes to choose from when you arrive (so it's not a true out-and-back - more like an out-slack-and-back!). Speaking of cafes, here's a plug for the one I usually go to - Gino's in South Terrace (bit of an institution in Freo). Just coz I like mucking around with Google Maps, here's the most zoomed in map of central Freo: Gino's is the far left white building in the triangle-shaped block at the centre of the pic.


View Larger Map

Static Map of Gino's

So, I set off at a rather slack 9:00am for the 65 minute ride to Freo. Perfect blue skies and a light wind made for very nice riding - I ride mostly on the roads, but there is a good cycleway which follows the freeway south which I travel on for part of the way.

Trundling along (many weeks of few rides after the tour has fattened me up a little!), I really enjoyed being back on the Masi. She is a great bike, so I thought I'd detail a little about her.

Firstly, some pics:





I think she's lovely :). (Wasn't sure about the blue Michelin Pro Race 2's, but they were new off my other bike, so I kept 'em - the colour 'wonkiness' looks good to me now!).

She's a 3VC Volumetrica - Dura Ace: the 2007 top Masi model.

Interestingly, she's the fully equipped Dura Ace model, but with the Ultegra coloured frame (both exactly the same frame, just the equipment differs). Also, she differs from the usual specs in that she has an FSA K-Force MegaExo crankset.

Mine is a 56 frame - a little on the small side for parts of my 185cm tall body, but nothing a little play around with doesn't fix. The reason I went for the 56 frame is because I have duck's disease - short legs! With a stand over height of 780 millimeters for the 56 frame, I have about 20mm clearance: the 58 frame would be tweaking certain parts of my anatomy that shall remain un-named! The fact that I haven't needed to replace any sizing components (stem etc) but just re-jigged them shows the generally good fit.

Another demonstration of good fit is the fact that the bike carted my 92kgs 1100 kms around Canada with not so much as a squeek from either the bike, or my body. The carbon-lugged frame was superlatively compliant laterally and yet stiff-as when it counted, hill-grinds especially! Across smooth roads she floated, and over roads that jettisoned water bottles and seat-bags, and turned a spoke or two on other bikes to spaghetti, she isolated me from as much shock as possible whilst still sticking to the road like glue: there's really not more you can ask of a bike! And in return she demanded a slight rear derailleur adjustment at the bars, a daily pump of the tires, and a thank you 5 minute clean on some nights.

Special mentions to the seat and the wheels.

The seat, Fizik Arione Ti rails, was one of the specific reasons I bought the bike, and it was superb. Not overly soft, but very compliant and comfortable. It's length is important here, giving you lots of room to move on when needed: right back for hill grinds, and more nose forward when in the pace line.

The wheels, Shimano Dura Ace 7801s. Originally had some doubts about these wheels, with 16 spokes up front and 20 in rear: I'm 92kgs!. But there were not an issue - laterally very stiff, complaint and after 1100kms with some rough road poundings, didn't require any trueing at all. Say no more!

So, there ya go - my homage to my trusty steed! We'll see what adventures she'll undertake with me next year - there are plans for more tours and many more hills!

Oh, below is a link to a blog by the Brand Manager of Masi: it's fun stuff and not at all just an excuse to flog his product (shit, I think I just did that here! - hehe):

Masiguy Blog

Ltr!

No comments: